Hiking Trail: The Courens Plateau
Positive elevation gain
Negative elevation gain
Min. 85 meters
Max. 258 meters
Departure / Arrival
Beaumes de Venise – Place du Marché / Beaumes de Venise – Place du Marché
place du Marché
Tourist service in Beaumes-de-Venise :On the Courens plateau, overlooking the village of Beaumes-de-Venise, there once stood a Gallo-Roman oppidum built by the Ligurian Celts, for which the plateau’s sheer slopes provided natural defences.
Starting point: Place du Marché, Beaumes-de-Venise. Walk around the edge of the cemetery and join the D21. Turn left towards Chapelle Saint Sébastien, then right towards Chapelle Notre Dame d’Aubune, a real gem of Romanesque architecture, with its mediaeval garden. Walk around the chapel, turning left immediately after the gate, onto the little path leading up the hill. When you reach the plateau, walk to the right until you come to the Pierre du Diable (a huge rock that towers above the chapel of Notre Dame d’Aubune). Just before the breach, take the little path on the right signposted in blue, towards Chapelle Saint Hilaire. After the chapel, walk along the edge of the vineyard to your right. At the end of the vines, you will see Le Castellas, a ruined castle currently being restored, on your right. Follow the track and, just before the road, turn right onto a small path through the undergrowth. Where the path crosses the forest track, take the path opposite (don’t go through the gate). At the road, turn right then right again after the vineyard; opposite, climb to the left to some steps that will take you back to the village.
Go to the route
- Follow the Yellow and Red signposting, then the blue signposting from the Pierre du Diable (after Notre Dame d'Aubune.(1)
- This hike is exposed south.
- Avoid days with high temperatures and the Mistral.
Respect the regulations preserving protected natural areas – find out about restrictions to accessing the massifs during fire risk periods, from 15 June to 15 September.
Before heading out, check the website
- A circuit that varies between paths and track winding through vineyards, woods, garrigue and limestone rocks discovering the historic heritage of the Dentelles de Montmirail.
- Passing along Carpentras Canal
- Discovery of Notre Dame D'Aubune chapel, a Roman gem along with its garden, and Saint Hilaire chapel.
- Climb towards the Plateau des Courrens, and the ruins of Castellas.
- The concretions of Safre and the village of Beaumes de Venise