We have been able to estimate the date of the construction of the Roman Theatre at 20 AD, due to the marble statue of the Emperor Tiberius found in front of the royal entrance to the Theatre. It is thought that the stage wall came to 25 meters high, with a depth of 8 meters and a width of 23 meters. In 1912, many sculptures were found in the twelve pits which had been built to house stage machinery. These sculptures can now be seen at the Théo Desplans Museum. The Theatre leans against the hillside, and today is used for Vaison's annual festival. It holds an audience of 5000 during the Festival performances. Open between 12 and 2 from April to September.
Adress / Contact
Dans le site antique de Puymin