The Synagogue provides evidence for the presence of Jewish communities, who sought the Pope’s protection after being persecuted in the Kingdom of France, and settled in the Comtat Venaissin in the 13th century.
The synagogue is closed for visits during Jewish religious festivals and week-ends..
The Tourist Office offers guided tours
It was built in 1367 and is one of the oldest synagogues in existence in France today.
On the ground and lower ground floors are the baths and pools (mikvé), designed for Jewish ritual cleansing, including the early pool that dates back to the 14th century. Other rooms house the bakery and ovens. The 18th century sanctuary is on the first floor.
From 02/01 to 31/12.
Closed Saturday and Sunday.
Closed exceptionally on 20/03, 21/03, 22/03, 19/04, 22/04, 26/04, 10/06, 05/07, 30/09, 01/10, 08/10, 09/10, 14/10, 15/10, 21/10, 22/10 and bank holidays.