The school is not over! Come relive the heyday of old school through its museum...
This Museum, run by a club, opened in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in June 2005. There are two large rooms, the first shows a classroom from the past, with polished wood pupils' desks and benches. The teahcer's desk is characteristic of the past, on a stand to be above the class and reinforce the teacher's authority. The desk is painted black as was the style in the late 19th and early 20th century, with a hole to hold the inkwell (red ink of course, to correct pupils' mistakes!). The black board dates from the same era. Class lockers line the walls, and there is a coal-burning stove. This type of furnishings often co-existed in the classroom, testifying to a period when funds were limited. The other room is a display room where there is currently a presentation on the chronological changes in school furnishings between 1880 and 1980. There are many different types of pupil's desks, showing the diversity in the shapes, materials, and types of production (artisan or industry made). Lots of old-fashioned educational posters adorn the walls.Free under 10.
Adress / Contact
Musée de l'Ecole d'Autrefois 54 chemin de l'Ecole de Saint-Antoine Quartier Saint Antoine