The collections of paintings belonging to the town originally come from the study of Monseigneur d'Inguimbert, who was Bishop of Carpentras from 1735 to 1757. These works are of great interest from the standpoint of both art history and the history of collectors' taste.
Some of the highlights of the collection include: Provencal primitives, including the masterpiece by Nicolas Dipre "Rencontre à la porte dorée", several paintings by Etienne and Pierre Parrocel, Jospeh Siffrède Duplessis; paintings from schools from abroad - Savery, Snyders, Van Herp, Van der Poel, Carrache, Zuccarelli - a set of portraits including those from Dom Malachie d'Inguimbert, especially the famous portrait of the Abbot de Rancé, attributed to Rigaud and a gift from Pope Clément XII to the Bishop of Carpentras. There are also paintings from the second half of the 18th and 19th centuries, with examples from regional painting and Parisian trends: Jospeh Vernet, Turpin de Crissé, Jospeh Bidauld, Gros, Carrière, Gustave Doré, Evariste de Valernes, Bonaventure and Jules Laurens, Etienne Billet and Adda Cabane. The ground floor of the museum shows collections of folk arts and traditions populaires. Seals, coins and medals evoke the history of the Comtat Venaissin, which belonged to the Holy See from 1229 to 1791. Comtadine head coverings, Provencal crèches, decoys, weights and measures, and bells all illustrate the customs and savoir-faire from the Comtat. Ex-votos dedicated to Notre-Dame-de-Santé and items left at the Mont-de-Piété (pawnshop) also bear testimony to the religious fervor and daily life in Carpentras in the 19th century. Free entrance under 12, for school groups and every first Sunday of each month. Open 1 April to 30 September: 10-12; 2 to 6pm. From 1 October to 30 March: by advance reservation. Closed Tuesdays and bank holidays.